Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cloth Diapering - Just call me Crunchy.

I've found a new passion recently and I'm loving every minute of it. I find myself becoming "crunchier" by the moment. (Crunchy = parenting and lifestyle choices that are more natural and organic as opposed to popular and convenient.)

Some of my most crunchy decisions have been extended breastfeeding (age 2 is my goal and we're almost there,) making my own organic baby food, using home-made, organic household products, lots of DIY money saving projects around the house, and now CLOTH DIAPERING!


But cloth diapering is from the 80's, right? No! Well, yes, but boy has it developed since then. There are so many options it's honestly overwhelming, but I think I've got it down to a science.

Let me start with my REASONS for cloth diapering, and we'll see if you are convinced.

#1 - Cost!
With Cale we spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,000-$3,000 in the span of his diapering years. Newborns alone go through up to 15 diapers a day! That is a TON of money. Cloth diapering is a very cheap alternative that will save thousands, and let's face it. I want to be a stay-at-home mother very soon, and this is significantly helping with that goal.

#2 - Style & Comfort.
Disposable diapers are hideous. Not to mention made out of paper and plastic. Would YOU rather wear cotton underwear or plastic? (No need to answer, I'm confident of your answer.) Cloth diapers are ADORABLE. They come in many different designs, colors, shapes and sizes, and it's just about the cutest thing in the world.

#3 - It's healthier.
Until you've diapered your own baby, you cannot imagine the heartache you will feel when your baby has a terrible diaper rash. They scream when they use the restroom because the acid hurts their burning bum. They scream harder when you try to wipe it off, and stubborn diaper rashes can last for weeks. Sometimes they blister and bleed. Sometimes they get a yeast rash which is so nasty it requires antibiotics to treat. Disposable diapers are responsible for the majority of this. They are made with nasty chemicals that are released onto your baby's skin. Most diapers are even made with chemicals that are known carcinogens (cancer causing agents.)
^If that doesn't convince you, I don't know what will.

#4 - and finally, environmental benefits.
One disposable diaper will sit in a landfill for 550 years before decomposing. YES, FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY YEARS! If your baby goes through 5,000 diapers through their diapering years (per child!) that is a significant impact to our environment. No thanks.

A part of me feels guilty that I didn't dive into CDing (cloth diapering acronym) from the beginning. I wanted to, but I was nervous to start something that I wasn't sure about. Especially being a first time mother, I really just wanted it to be easy. (Little did I know that CDing IS EASY, and combined with all of the other benefits, there really is no other option in my mind.)

Let's move on.

**Please note, there are about 20 different styles of cloth diapering, and I am only listing what works for us. All the information out there can be overwhelming, but feeding through it slowly will help you decide what system works best for you.**

Our newborn diapering system:

When baby girl is born in a few months we will use the simple prefold and cover system. The reason for this is that newborns grow SO quickly that they can grow out of diapers quickly and it can be costly if you buy the most expensive diapers right away. (There are one size diapers, but they can be a bit big and bulky on a new baby.)

Prefolds -- you'll need a minimum of 25 prefolds, and Green Mountain Diapers sell the best ones. They are about $2 each. (http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm)

Covers -- you only need 2 or 3 since they are just a cover and don't get messy too easily. Thirsties work GREAT with prefolds and they are about $12 each. (http://www.thirstiesbaby.com/products/cloth-diapers/duo-wrap/)


That's all you need! (Besides the CD basics, which include a diaper sprayer, CD detergent, laundry bin and liners.)

All together this means you can cloth diaper your newborn for about $100! I went through $100 in newborn diapers just in the first MONTH with Cale. I shudder at the savings I missed out on.

Anyway, this post is plenty long! I will update frequently with other tips, especially with older babies. For now, this will do.

Hope some of this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment