Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Updates!

It's been a couple months since I've posted, so I figured it was about that time. So much happened at the end of 2009, and I can't say I'm sad it's over. It was quite a stressful holiday and I'm glad to be starting fresh with a new year.

Christmas is usually one of my favorite times of year. I love spending time with family (we have 4 sides of the family to visit!)and Christmas Day is the best! But on December 22nd, my niece's 4th birthday, my mom's husband Jesse took a spill outside on the front porch. He landed on his cane, severely breaking 5 ribs. No one was home, and it was a miracle he had his cell phone in his pocket so he could call 911. The ambulance transported him to the hospital and he was in a great deal of pain. He didn't puncture a lung, which was a miracle, but his accident caused quite a change in our family's holiday plans. Jesse spent over a week in the hospital, and then was transported to a rehab center where he still remains, 15 days later. The rehab center is anything but comfortable for him. They treat him like crap, neglect him when he needs them most, and considering he is completely immobile, it makes life there terribly uncomfortable. My poor mom hates leaving him there and has cried on my shoulder many times about the abuse he endures there. Unfortunately, there isn't much they can do except wait for him to be well enough to come home...which they are hoping will be in the next couple of days.

In the mean time, my mom has been frantic trying to make her house handicap accessable, since Jesse will need to be in a hospital bed in his own home for at least another month. She had someone come in and install handicap bars in the bathroom and shower, and has had loads of support from her Relief Society sisters with meals and house cleaning services. Unfortunately, Jesse just recently started a new job, so he isn't being compensated for any time away from work...in fact, they are worried he could lose his job completely at any time.

Needless to say, Christmas this year was pretty much non-existant with my immediate family. My mom did a great job of having us over a couple days after Christmas (she didn't have to do that) and she put on a happy face for as long as she could, but broke down at the end. I felt so bad for her.

Now that December is over and we are finally in a new year, I am really hoping for a great new start for my mom and Jesse. They've had a rough month.

I can't ignore the good things in life, of course! For those who are interested in a quick update about the baby, things are great! I'm about 27 weeks now, and Cale is crazy active. We changed his middle name to Everett, and changed the spelling of his first name from "Kale" to "Cale." I'm getting so impatient waiting for him to come, but it has been a blast setting up his nursery.

We also just found out that my sister is pregnant with baby #2. Of course the family is thrilled, and I'm excited that Cale will have a cousin just 6 months younger than him. Hopefully it's a boy for Cale to play with!

Despite our crazy end to 2009, I hope that the rest of you had an amazing holiday and made some great New Years Resolutions! What a great way to better yourself than by making goals.

Happy 2010 everyone!!!

-Michelle, Nathan, and baby Cale

No comments:

Post a Comment